Thursday, March 02, 2006

Name that Pixie!

Okay, before this gets out of hand, I just want to say for the record that my new blog will have a lot more links to other people's blogs. I link to other blogs I enjoy, or friends of mine. Just because I don't have a link to your blog does not mean I don't enjoy it.

If you would like me to link your blog, I would hope you could link mine. Those who have commented here, and those who have emailed me to send a "friendly" reminder about linking to their blog, have not linked me in return. You'll notice a similarity between all those on my blog roll - it's a two way street.

Whew, I feel better about getting that off my chest. Sorry if I've offended.

Yesterday was the first day of NaNoEdMo and I think it went pretty well. I edited for an hour and a half, focusing on finding the word "began" in the first 3 chapters of Mending Resolute, as well as searching for "ly" words and determining whether or not they were required. I have a step-by-step plan for my editing, and today I'm on the hunt for more words, namely "ing" words. This is a bit easier than I thought - I always dread the editing process, but this is easy and already I'm feeling a lot better about my prose.

Get this - last night while I was out on the balcony admiring the evening, four silver mini vans with tinted windows turned right. Himself thinks it was CSIS. I think it's some fracked up version of the Truman Show, and the producers got a deal on silver mini vans.

If you know of any reality-type home improvement shows (ie Extreme Makeover Home Edition or While You Were Out) can you post them in comments please? I need more ideas; Himself and I have a plan (mischievous laugh).

Okay, and one last thing! I'm holding a contest! For the new blog, I'd like to name my weather pixie. So, if you have an idea, post it in the comments below. What will you win? Why, a copy of Tall Tales and Short Stories Volume III! What's so special about Tall Tales and Short Stories Volume III? I'm SO glad you asked!

Two years ago I won honourable mention in the Hidden Talents short story contest with my story "Life As She Knew It". Last year I won 4th place! Volume III holds, within its pages, my story "Love Potion", which has to be the one piece of my work I love, and to which I would NOT take a chainsaw or a pack of matches.

It just so happens that my little contest coincides with this year's Tall Tales Press contest! Deadline is May 31, so writers, crack your knuckles, pound out some prose and send it to Tall Tales Press. Check out the CONTEST to find out the prizes and all other details. And if you have a suggestion for a name for my weather pixie, please post it in comments below. Deadline for entering is Monday, March 6th. If you don't leave your contact information in comments, make sure you come back on Tuesday March 7th to see if you've won!

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to watch a show called In a Fix until it was canceled. Basically they found people who started Home Improvement projects and never finished them then helped them finish it off. There were some truly awful home improvment hell-holes that they fixed up.

Another fave was Clean Sweep, more organizational than nuts and bolts renos, but lots of fun. I loved watching people justify why they kept saving crap and literally air their dirty laundry on national TV. It inspired me to clear the clutter before my nearest and dearest tried to nominate me for an episode.

Lastly, I have watched a couple of episodes of How Clean is Your House...dear god, how is it possible that people can be such pigs!! This is the absolute worst in filth and stench that I have ever seen and makes me appreciate that I only occasionaly have dust bunnies floating around.

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A contest for the weather pixie? Guess I will have to put my 'thinking cap' on and do some creative thinking at work tomorrow. I would love to have a copy of Tall Tales III!As far as Home Improvement Realities...come and see my real life challenges in my humble abode. I will do some research and get back to you. All the best with your current challenge.
TTYL!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Hello darling! I win! Dan and a friend of one of his friends are now dating, so now that I've won on that score, I might be able to get us to read The Bride Stripped Bare.
Kiss-kiss Love-love, Loretta!


Personally, I think Loretta seems too self-assured, but...
Aha! Methinks a contest I espy!
Even though it sounds like it came from an Enid Blyton book, how about Trixie the Weather Pixie?
Lol I used to love those books.
Or, if you want to sound like a news anchorperson, you can say "And now, here's Heather with the Weather!"

I think it's mildly awesome that we're both J.D.!*
Maybe it's most likely to get a result of that because he's the main character, or maybe you're right - we are unique, special and wonderful, just like everybody else.

That reminds me of a Kaz Cook quote, along the lines of: Everyone is important, special and worthy. Except the people you'd much rather slap.

Sorry to blabber on, but I don't get many opportunities to post these days, so I overcompensate when I get the chance. Your point has been noted, and adding your blog to my links list is next on my to-do list!

Ciao for now,
Dan

* = (I never liked punctuation - can you have an exclamation mark after a full stop? Oh, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of the semi-colon)

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Dan said...

P.S. Glad your editing is coming along well! Good luck with it, and the rest of your no-fun marathon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home