Friday, February 10, 2006

Duuuuuurrrrrrrr.....

Ever been in an argument and you know what you're saying is a pile of hogswallop but you can't seem to stop yourself? What the @!$% is up with that?!?!

Anyhow, I had a miserable sleep last night. It's 5:30 am and I finally gave up. I have a sleeping disorder called DSPS (AKA laziness if you ask any of my period one high school teachers...). At best, it takes me 45 minutes to fall asleep, and sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night, another 45 are needed for me to fall back asleep. At worst, I'm up all night. I've only ever found one remedy to keep constant the 'best case scenario', but that remedy wasn't available last night. And so, I'm awake. I'm grumpy. And I'm blogging.

Fortunately, Voodoo tagged me (I've never been tagged! I'm so excited...) and so I now have something to do to keep me from crying from exhaustion-induced frustration (no really...). So here I go...

Four jobs I've had:

Well, I've had a hell of a lot more than four, let me tell you. So I'll pick the first four that come to my mind...

1. Bartending at Scott's Bar on Rose Street in Edinburgh

2. Barrista (twice) at Timothy's in Toronto (2 different locations, which is why I have no feeling left on my fingertips. Anyone who has done it will know what I mean...). I saved a fortune on coffee, and discovered that soy chai lattes are actually pretty good. The regulars (in the first place) were fun.

3. Receptionist for Michener Allen Auctioneering (no really, that is their name, it's not a typo...). I made $9/hour while living on my own with a car and insurance payments and yet somehow, I still got by. There are three reasons, however, that this job is noteable. First, when no management was around, the yard guys would let me drive the cars (Yeah, that's right! So if a Michener is reading this, there's nothing you can do about it now!! So there!!). Second, between auctions (once every 5 weeks) I became a Dope Wars champion and lastly, between Dope Wars tourneys I wrote my first novel. I was so nervous about it. I was a closet writer - I didn't want anyone to know. My loser fiance at the time would have totally made fun of me and put me down for it, and so I kept it this tiny little secret. That is, until four years later when I stumbled across The Writing Life and Mik, and they encouraged me to come out of my creative closet... I still have never submitted Heaven, and am on my four hundred and eighty fifth rewrite. heh heh

4. Okay, now for a bad one. I worked at this place called Wiggley Auctions. The guy who owned the place, Jackass Wiggley, was so chauvenistic. I didn't actually think this kind of stuff happened anymore until I was smack in the middle of it. He wanted me to bring him coffee, and if it wasn't just right he would make me do it again. I lasted three whole weeks in that joint.

Four movies I could watch over and over:
1. Bridget Jones' Diary (I know it's cliche but I love it)
2. Identity
3. The Two Towers
4. Gross Point Blank, Sliding Doors, Dream for an Insomniac, Sabrina (Old AND new) (Okay, that's not four, but really. Who can chose.

Four places I have lived
1. Calgary
2. Toronto
3. Edinburgh
4. Glasgow

Four TV shows I watch:
1. Frasier
2. Battlestar Galactica
3. Arrested Development
4. Corner Gas

(Fortunately, I rarely watch TV so S&TC & Frasier are still new to me sometimes!)

Four places I've vacationed:
Vacation? What, is that a joke?!? You mean, like not backpacking but relaxing?? Ok, I'll try anyhow...

1. Er... Montreal? (We went for a road trip once, does that count?)
2. Canmore! We went to Canmore last weekend! That was totally a vacation! Thanks, Mom!
3. St. Stephen, NB
4. Um... Orkney! (Okay, we were backpacking, but it was really cool and quite relaxing!)

Four of my favourite dishes:
1. Knefla
2. Chippy (I'd kill for a sausage & chips somedays, and watching Coronation Street just makes it worse...)
3. A really big Greek salad with lots of those light green jalapeno peppers. Strangely, they are really hard to find!
4. Donairs!

Wow, I wonder why I'm a bit fat. Heh heh

Four sites I visit daily:
1. Mik's blog
2. Voodoo's Lounge
3. BE (the scratch cards can be addictive!)
4. The Writing Life

Four places I'd rather be:
1. Running from the poltergeist that chased me in Edinburgh
2. Sleeping (but without nightmares that I'm protecting my daughter, a three year old Spanish girl named Cheese Para {Cheese Para is how I remember to say "lighter" en espanol} from vicious south end thugs. Thanks, Himself, for freaking me out with talk of four (yes, FOUR) children last night. Thank goodness I kept that paper bag around from my bath salts from Rocky Mountain Soapworks or I might have hyperventilated...)
3. Rapa Nui
4. Guisiliapa (OH MY GOD! Go Google Guisiliapa. Do it right now! You'll be amazed with your results! hehe)

Okay, my turn to tag. I think I need three, right? Okay, I tag MJ, Miss Fern and Krystal. Fern and Krystal are just going to have to post their answers in the comments below.

Get this. My losery fairy-princess-in-the-forest alarm just went off on my Treo. This is my "thank god I don't have to be up this early" snooze alarm. UGH!

Today is a bit exciting, though. Today is the first day of my 60 day do-nothing-fun marathon. The only fun things I'm permitted to do is go see the Petra display at the Glenbow, which I've budgeted for, an go to see 2 movies, since Mom gave us sweet movie passes for Christmas. 60 days. Lots of debt. I will overcome the evil interest rates, mutilate the mounting minimum payment, slaughter the spiking... oh, you get the picture. Keep up with my progress here each day on the tracker. It's not like I'll have anything better to do... I put a Debt Metre up on the right side of the blog, though it lacks specifics, ie: how much I owe.... This way I can track my progress in front of everyone and then I HAVE to get it all paid off.

Happy Friday, everyone!


You Are Fozzie Bear

"Wocka! Wocka!"
You're the life of the party, and you love making people crack up.
If only your routine didn't always bomb!
You may find more groans than laughs, but always keep the jokes coming.

4 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what? I am a Fozzie too!!!
Now I know where I get it from. hehehe
Have a great weekend!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

YOU need to submit that book, girl. It's fabo. ;)

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger twins15 said...

A 60 day-no-fun-marathon? That's a bold move! :D

Here's to hoping you have a little fun! ;)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Colin said...

Scott's Bar!?!?!?!?!?

WAYHEY!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home